The annual company Christmas party is a bit early this year -- this Saturday, as a matter of fact.
Once again, for like the 5th year in a row, I will serve as emcee for the event.
Being a natural ham, I'm the perfect kind of guy for the gig. I'm also quite extemporaneous and locquacious, which is needed in a good emcee.
This also means I have to get a ton of stuff done over the next day and a half, as we set very early deadlines on the day of the party so as many employees as possible can attend. Remember, I work for a daily newspaper. There has to be a paper put out every day, and it has have actual news in it, so we can't shut down for a day, not even for the Christmas party ... heck, not even for Christmas.
So, I'm cutting back slightly on my World of Warcraft (heh) and giving up a little sleep over the next few days to get set.
And then the weekend will be pretty full for me too; I have to get some work projects finished up before Monday.
Hope you're not going to be as busy as me ... bleah.
I've seen a couple of memes traveling around Bloggerville and, since World of Warcraft's servers are down for the next 12 hours, I thought I'd actually take some time to share my wonderful versions with you ... heh
6 WEIRD THINGS ABOUT DZER • I like to dunk peanut butter sammiches into chicken noodle soup ... it's tasty. And my favorite sammich when I was a kid was peanut butter ... and yellow mustard.
• To make up for my physical deficiencies, as compared to others (i.e. huge and fat), I became a bit of an intellectual snob. OK, My Favorite Person would probably tell you that it's more than "a bit." I can't stand to be around people who are significantly less intelligent than I am, let alone those who are just plain stupid. I get haughty, smug, even a bit smarmy, not to mention patronizing and condescending. I've been working on it for a little while, but I still don't suffer fools well.
• I like to start Christmas shopping in July, August at the latest. I'm a bit behind this year, but not overly so.
• I'm both an anal-retentive and a slob. Deal with it.
• My fingernails and toenails are significantly smaller than most people's proportionally, from cuticle to tip. I don't know why, but my theory is that I'm at a higher evolutionary state. You see, there's no real use for fingernails and toenails, though it's nice to get a backscratch from some nice fingernails. Animals need talons and claws and the like, but we don't. Flimsy rationale? Perhaps. :P
• When I was in high school, I would eat a variety of live things for gas money -- bugs, geckos, etc. I'm not proud, but it's a part of me.
CHRISTMAS SONGS I LOVE • "Adeste Fidelis," aka "O Come All Ye Faithful." In Chamorro, it's "Fanmato Manhengge."
• "Jingle Bell Rock." There's just something about "Giddy up jingle horse."
• "All I Want for Christmas Is You," the version sung in "Love Actually."
• "The Christmas Song." Hello! Jack Frost is nipping at your nose!
• "Santa Claus Is Coming to Town." You better know why!
• BONUS: "Feliz Navidad," "Baby It's Cold Outside," "It Came Upon a Midnight Clear," "The First Noel," "Pretty Paper" ... and a ton of others. I LOVE Christmas music!
CHRISTMAS SONGS I HATE • Any "funny" version of "The Twelve Days of Christmas."
• Any Alvin and the Chipmunks version of any Christmas song.
• "Last Christmas" by Wham! Fuck I hate that song.
• "All I Want for Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth." That whistling is irritating.
Took a short break from work to get my head shaved at my usual barber.
When he was done and I'd paid, I reached to one of the loops on my jeans to retrieve my keys, which I clip using a kind of carabiner clip. Not there. Not in my pockets. Not on the ground near the chair.
Fearing the worst, I go outside.
Yep, they're in the truck.
In the ignition.
With the engine still running.
Haven't locked my keys in my vehicle, let alone with it running, since like my senior year of high school, and it wasn't a big deal back then, because the trunk of my 1976 Pinto opened with a flathead screwdriver.
Luckily, I keep a spare key at the office, and my pare' brought it to me on his way home -- even more luckily, I caught him just before he was leaving for the day.
Then it was back to the office for more work.
At least my day ended well -- homemade spicy sloppy joe dinner, WOW ... though I stayed up way too late ... which I'll pay for in about ... 5 hours.