Started feeling a cold coming on Friday, but despite my best efforts -- hot soup, hot tea and cold medicine -- it started coming on strong Saturday and by Sunday it was totally kicking my ass. I was sick enough that I skipped golf.
Was sick enough still on Monday that I left early, after knocking out my section.
I hate these kinds of colds. Congestion, runny nose, cough, phlegm galore ... ugh. Could have slept forever Sunday into Monday, and likely will be asleep early (for me) again, unless I nap for a few hours, get up for a few hours, then sleep till the late a.m.
OK ... time for dinner. It's sloppy joe night ... you know what they say: Starve a fever, feed a cold.
And I won't leave you hanging ... here are the answers to the trivia questions from Quiz Nite:
Category: High, Low, Long
(One local question here)
1. What place on land has the lowest elevation in the United States?
2. Name 3 of the 5 states in the 2000 Census that had the highest populations.
New York, California, Florida, Texas, Illinois
3. Name 3 of the 5 states in the 2000 Census that had the lowest populations.
Alaska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Vermont, Wyoming
4. What North American city has had the longest continual habitation by Europeans?
St. Augustine, Fla.
5. What is the name of the world's longest dog sled race?
Category: Words, Words, Words
1. "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet" is a line said by which character of Shakespeare?
2. Name the type of fish caught by the "Old Man and the Sea."
3. What famous American poet was once a West Point cadet?
Edgar Allan Poe
4. How many syllables in the second line of a haiku?
5. There are two terms that describe the repeated first sound of words. Name one of them; bonus points for both.
6. LASER is the acronym for what?
Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation
Category: Music — Classic to Top 40
1. Who composed "The Four Seasons?"
2. The Quarrymen included the nucleus of what well-known rock band?
3. Who sang the theme song to "The Dukes of Hazzard?" He was also the narrator.
4. What artist has the current Top 40 hit "Sexyback?"
5. Who wrote the lyrics for "Westside Story?"
6. According to Paul Simon, how many ways are there to leave your lover?
Category: Horror film
Correctly place the following films into the right decade: 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000s.
1. The Others
2. The Exorcist
4. Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Category: Sidekicks, political and otherwise
(There were two local questions here)
1. Andrew Johnson was the vice president of what U.S. president?
2. John Adams was the vice president of what U.S. president?
3. Thomas Marshall was the vice president of what U.S. president?
4. Name one of the two vice presidents that Philippine President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo has had.
Teofisto T. Guingona or Noli De Castro