Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Music ...

I admit it: I'm out of touch with today's music. Hell, I've been outta touch with music since the late '80s. When I was in high school, I was down with all the latest rap music, had a DJ friend who sent me mixes that were months ahead of what anyone else on Guam had, plus I was up with all the latest radio stuff.

But somewhere between then and now, I lost touch, for the most part.

I'm a musical eclectic. I appreciate a lot of different genres, from rap (though almost all old-school) to metal (old-school) to pop (ummm ... old school) and even country .... well, some of the older country stuff.

Hmm. I think I see the problem. My favorite rock bands are Led Zeppelin, the Eagles and the Doors. My favorite rappers are Run-DMC, LL Cool J, The Beastie Boys and UTFO. My favorite country singers are Hank Williams, Patsy Cline, Willie Nelson and Johnny Cash. My favorite R&B singers are Ray Charles, the Temptations, Otis Redding and Aretha Franklin. My favority pop singers are Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam featuring Full Force, early Janet Jackson, Hall & Oates and Chicago.

Even the current bands that I like hearken back to older days and older sounds.

I don't remember the last time I bought a new CD. And the last bunches that I bought are like "The Awesome 80s" or "Super Hits of the 70s" or the like — compilation CDS of older music.

I'm finally uploading some of my CDs to my iTunes. Newest song so far? "Boombastic" by Shaggy. Billy Joel, The Doors, The Eagles, Zeppelin, Meatloaf, Deep Purple, Steve Miller Band, etc.

But I'm comfortable with what I like to listen to, even if it's rarely anything new.

So why do people treat me like I'm sort of social leper because I don't like most of the music out there today?

Screw 'em.

*Starts "Head to Toe" on the iTunes*

1 comment:

DZER said...

Maybe I'm just not hip ... but I think it's cool not to be cool sometimes.

Some people tend to react with a "what the hell?" attitude when I haven't heard of a new band or song, like I'm culturally deficient.

But I don't hold it against people when they don't know the significance of 1066 or 1789 or 1898 ... though I really should, now that I think about it.