Wednesday, September 21, 2005

It's beginning to look a lot like ...

CHRISTMAS!


OK, here's the deal. I REALLY like Christmas. I love giving presents. There's just something about picking out a great gift for a loved one, something they not only need but want. It's hard to explain, but if you've ever seen a person open a present and they get this semi-stunned I-can't-believe-it look — that momentary gasp of surprise, followed by the processing in their head as they realize that this lovely, perfect thing you got for them meant that you took the time to think about them instead of just buying something for them — then you probably know what I mean.

I also love to wrap presents. And I don't just mean dropping it into a bag, or covering it in brightly colored paper and slapping a bow on it. I like to make presents presentable. I like to make them pretty and beautiful and fun and creative. I like the wrapping to show as much care and thought as the present. Sometimes I get pressed for time, or short on money, and can't always do what I feel is a top-notch job, but at the same time I don't half-ass it. I've given people presents in which the gift wrapping was more elaborate and expensive than the gift inside. I use all kinds of elements to tie together gift wrapping.

Anyway, several years ago, my boss and long-time friend — and thus a recipient of my specialty wraps and thoughtful gifts — thought I should share this talent with the rest of the island. And thus, Jingle George was born. For the past several years, I have been writing regular columns during Christmastime to give advice, tips, hints and the like to the holiday challenged. I've written about other holidays, but Christmas has always been my specialty. I show how to do some of my specialty wraps, discuss the philosophy behind gift-giving, give suggestions for buying presents for friends, co-workers, relatives, girlfriends/boyfriends, etc. I remind about shipping deadlines and give last-minute advice.

I've actually become something of a local celebrity. I represent the paper at one hotel's annual Christmas train grand opening (that's where the photo above comes from). When I'm there, or at other events, Japanese tourists, children and others come up and ask for pictures with me. How can I refuse at Christmas? Hell, I must be in about 100 Japanese people's photo albums.

Last year, my mom made me a full-blown Santa suit. My brother even made me a custom big leather belt. I do still need to find better boots.

The point to this ramble is that it's that time of year again. The columns will start again. I'm looking forward to it, but dreading it as well because while I enjoy the attention and publicity, it's sometimes difficult to keep it all fresh, to do something new and different, and yet the same.

This year, we're shooting for e-cards featuring Jingle George, and a page on the paper's Web site to feature extra tips and stories. I'm even going to be making more appearances, including serving as a celebrity bell-ringer for The Salvation Army.

I think I need to go buy a couple of Santa hats now. My ones from last year have that stale sweat smell, and I should stock up so I can alternate fresh ones this year. I also think I need to have the Santa suit altered a bit because of my partial weight loss. And damn, I gotta try to find size 15 black stomper boots somewhere.

For those of you truly interested/intrigued, or those of you who just wanna make fun, let me know in a few weeks and I'll provide you with the Web site addy so you can see the new pics I'm shooting soon.

GADZOOKS!!!

Random Guam Fact Of The Day:
• "Felis Pasgua yan Añu Nuebu" is Chamorro for "Merry Christmas and Happy New Year." Oh, and the "Y" is pronounced as a "J" — well, technically, it's more like a "DZ" sound.

6 comments:

DZER said...

allison: I will, once it's up. and isn't it funny that I started losing weight AFTER giving up smoking? Still far from svelte, but at least I'm moving in the right direction ;)

chrissie: I like it when ya strut ... especially when you give off the shameless hussy vibe ;) ... and isn't one of your vibes named shameless hussy? LOL

Everything Nice said...

I agree, new profile picture!

And link, yes... I love xmas too.
Just, not the whole spending my money part.

Eddie, my family has that same issue with "A Christmas Story"... for many years we sang yingu-barwls and spoke of the roasted duck.
I swear one of the bumpuses dogs lives right behind us!

What a great and giving skill to have. Once again proving to the masses that you kick ass!

sassinak said...

deeeeeeeeeeeeeezeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer!

i too love wrapping presents and giving them. getting is nice but giving is the BEST! especially when you nail it :)

i'm not as creative as you but i'll do twisted ribbons and candy cane decorations and the like :) i'm especially good at bottles.

just post the link on your blog willya?

also, quitting smoking for sure helps lose weight... after a few months you get all the energy smoking sucked out of you back AND you have the fidgets so you end up getting more active. that's when i started climbing the first time in fact.

sassinak said...

nah, then it's an expectation thingy and he'll feel bad if he plateaus... just let it happen dude and up the exercise a little at a time...

:)

DZER said...

eddie: I guess I'm just a very approachable person for Japanese. Again, these people see Godzilla as a hero figure.

nice lady: aww ... yer gonna make me blush ... making me even more Santa Clausish!

sass: I will keep my adoring fans updating on the Jingle George stuff.

allison: It's good to hear that the word on Guam is being spread by such a beautiful missionary LOL ... and I will try to let you know how I'm doing with the weight, though I won't promise more than that ;)

DZER said...

Hey, yer welcome to come any time — you can even bring Stephen.

I think you two would love the beaches ... and the nightlife ;)

Batten down your hatches and keep safe, darlin'.