Monday, November 21, 2005

the thanksgiving that almost wasn't ... and bees, bees, bees!!

It's officially the week of Thanksgiving and, as promised, I will now present to you, my loyal blog readers (up to 6 or 7 by now for sure!) two tales from Thanksgivings past.

The Thanksgiving That Almost Wasn't

The newspaper is very cool when it comes to holidays, especially Thanksgiving and Christmas. For employees who have to work the actual holiday, there is a tradition that they are fed holiday feasts. The food is catered, but still usually pretty good; it's a token measure for those who have to work, but a nice token.

One year though, it almost didn't happen. We'd just got a new managing editor from the states, and she just didn't seem to get the Thanksgiving dinner thing. It was almost as if she was some kind of Thanksgiving Grinch.

I had my usual wonderful family Thanksgiving dinner at home — oven-roasted turkey, ham, mashed taters, giblet gravy, stuffing and dressing, mom's homemade cranberry relish, homemade bread, pumpkin pie and peach cobbler (the other kind of pie varied — there was always pumpkin, but mom usually made apple pie, peach cobbler or something else).

I had to work, so I drove into the office. What awaited me there was a sad sight. There was going to be no holiday feast that day. Apparently, the new boss thought that "feeding the workers" just meant that there had to be some food. Her choice of food: Sandwich fixings — bread, cold cuts and cheeses. For THANKSGIVING.

DZER to the rescue!! I called mom and let her know I was coming home for the leftovers. I drove back home, she helped me pack up everything — about half of the feast was left over — and I trucked it back into the office.

Thankfully, there's always only a small number of people working Thanksgiving — like 8-10 people. They couldn't have a lot of food and there wasn't enough for seconds, but everyone got a pretty satisfying meal, plus pie to boot.

It meant no leftovers at my house, which sucked cuz I love eating Thanksgiving food for days after, but I thought it was the right thing to do. And my coworkers sure were happy I made the sacrifice. The new boss was a little piqued at first, until someone graciously explained to her that sandwich fixings on Thanksgiving didn't cut it. She made sure that Christmas dinner was up to the newsroom's usual standards.

Thanksgiving, Typhoon and Bees

Typhoons around Thanksgiving aren't unusual for Guam. It's right during the high point of typhoon season for us.

One year, we had a big storm hit a day or so before the holiday. Power was knocked out islandwide for days and days. Luckily, my parents always insisted on a gas stove/oven, just in case of a typhoon or power outage. While some families were pretty screwed and had to eat KFC or had to try to find a hotel that was serving Thanksgiving meals, my parents were merrily cooking away our usual superb feast.

We even had a few family friends over. It was a great meal, as usual, eaten outside on paper plates.

After we all were done, my brother-in-law decided he was going to check his bee hives at my dad's ranch. He produces "Boonie Bee Honey" here on Guam and has hives all over the island, including, at that time, about a dozen or so at my dad's ranch. Bees made sense there because of all the flowering plants. They produced a fine grade of light honey.

My youngest brother and my sister's oldest boy decided to go with him to check on the bees. The brother-in-law just wanted to make sure the hives weren't destroyed and that the bees were OK.

We're all still sitting around, picking at food, eating a second or third slice of pumpkin pie with Cool Whip, just chatting and talking and enjoying each other's post-Typhoon company. The afternoon drifts on by ... and the three haven't returned yet. The ranch wasn't that far away, so we're kind of wondering what happened. That's when the phone rings.

They're all at the emergency room. Apparently, a few of the bigger hives got knocked over while they were checking them out and there was an all-out swarm! LOL .. It wasn't funny for them — they each got stung dozens of times. I think my brother-in-law was stung like 20 or 30 times on the head. They all finally got back for their belated dessert a couple hours later — with swollen and hurting heads.

The moral to the story: Stay and eat pie whenever someone says, "I'm going to go check on the bees." LOL

Random Guam Fact Of The Day:
• Honey bees are another species introduced to Guam from elsewhere. They are not native to the island.

18 comments:

SignGurl said...

Dzer to the rescue! Such a gentleman always thinking of others.

As for the honey, I want some! Can we buy it here in the states? I love honey just like a bear does, hehehe.

Hope you are feeling better and if you are, I'm sure it was the soup and bread delivered by the stripper. ;)

DZER said...

jenn: it's part of the culture to make sure others eat LOL

as for the honey, it's only sold here ... but if you want a jar, lemme know and I'll see what I can do ;)

Hoochie Mama said...

Mmmmmm... honey! I love Michigan honey!

Great stories!

DZER said...

thanks lilith ... how's your honeypot? ;)

DZER said...

No. 1: Maybe because I never heard the tree story? LOL

No. 2: I never sent you honey? Damn ... and I could had you doing stuff with honey too ...

I'll make sure you get some of the best Boonie Bee honey, honey ... with bubble wrap galore! LOL

DZER said...

grainne: you know I'm a giver ;) ... and the beehive pic is just some art I got from the Internet LOL

and I'm not, but thanks ... pretty sure I have a sinus infection and couldn't get in to see the doc yesterday, so I'm going in the a.m.

gigi: whatcha got agin taters, lil lady? all yer fancy tawkin' ... sheeee-doggie!!

mikster said...

Glad the new editor finally started towing the line on holiday meals....lol

DZER said...

She learned quick ... though it was just one year later that I was qutting in grand style, and a lot of the reason was her and her favorites ... LOL

Deb said...

That was great of you, to give all the leftovers up. I'm sure it was appreciated more than you even realized...

Madelene, my girlfriend, she works for a car dealership. This time of year, they get vouchers for free turkeys with each test drive she gives. (Test drives = customer inteerest) --for the most part. Well none of these young kids that work with her use these vouchers. They end up sitting on their desks, eventually winding up in their trash bins.

Madelene goes around, collects them all, as well as all hers, and calls up the supermarket who sponsored it, and they bring over like 200 turkeys in a big truck over to the nearby church to families who aren't as fortunate as us.

It's people like you, who really make a difference that way. Very happy to see that. :)

As far as your bee story,....WHOA-----I am so paranoid about bees. I run like a fricken lunatic when I see one, because I'm allergic. I certainly will take your advice and stay for the pie if anyone should say, "Let's check out the bees!" HELL NO! I WON'T GO! lol!

Great post sweetie!

Anonymous said...

That is good advice to live on...choose pie over looking for bees.

Glad you are getting to see the doctor about your sinus infection. I waited waaaaay too long and was educated in an all new sort of pain.

DZER said...

murph: turkey is the food of the gods!

gigi: OK darlin' LOL

deb: awww .. thanks :) ... and I don't blame you for your fear; bee allergies are nothing to take lightly. yikes!

aroused girl: not deep philosophy, but pie over bees IS sound. ;) ... and thanks again!!

sugarpunk: thanks, darlin' ... and I agree ... I love roast turkey sammiches!!

Steppin' On Toes said...

My cousin's roof flew off during a typhoon. I don't remember being in any of of them. Instead I deal with earthquakes. I hope you don't have to work on Thanksgiving, but make sure you have sweet potatoes. Love that stuff. Slurp.

DZER said...

ugh ... I hate sweet potatoes ... but that just leaves more for you!! LOL

DZER said...

chrissie: I'm sure I've told the thanksgiving bee story to you before ... all three of them stung in the head lots of time ... funny! LOL

and your package is honey-sweet ;)

gigi: whatchoo talkin' bout my package for, my lil tater gal? LOL

castufari: was the least I could do, to my mind .... and get yer dirty mind off my biscuits!

kathi said...

Yeah, good ole thanksgiving stories...I don't have any.

DZER said...

gigi: oh, there's honey, horny honey ;)

kathi: none? I have several more! look for them in the days to come! LOL

kathi said...

Oh, I've got stories, just not good ones of growing up with family dinners... talk about scary....I'd rather dine with the bee's.

Unknown said...

LOL!!! Great story. You wouldn't have had to tell me that desert is better than bees.

Oh, and thanks a lot for the "Delta Dawn" reference on my link. I laughed my butt off.