Wednesday, July 19, 2006

I'm trying hard to deal with depression ...

Well, a tropical depression. Specifically, Tropical Depression 06W.

As per the National Weather Service:
TROPICAL DEPRESSION 06W IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE ITS NORTHWEST MOTION OVERNIGHT AND WEDNESDAY...PASSING ABOUT 150 MILES SOUTHWEST OF GUAM AROUND 5 AM WEDNESDAY MORNING. AS IT DOES...BANDS OF HEAVY SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS WILL MOVE THROUGH THE MARIANAS AT TIMES...BRINGING WINDS OF 20 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS AS HIGH AS 35 MPH. BY WEDNESDAY EVENING TOTAL RAINFALL OF 4 TO 6 INCHES CAN BE EXPECTED...WITH LOCAL FLOODING AT TIMES ON ROADS AND IN POOR-DRAINAGE AREAS.

Fun, eh?

Lucky for us it formed pretty close to us, which means we'll get wind and rain but that it shouldn't be anything too damaging. Not so for China, the Philippines, or Japan, one or more of which usually get hit by these things after they pass us. For example, Typhoon Bilis, which has killed 177 people thus far in China, destroying 19,100 houses and forcing the evacuation of more than 519,000 people. That was a tropical depression for Guam last week, which gave us a bunch of rain and stirred up some nasty surf, resulting in the death of a teen boy who was swept off the reef.

When these things form out around Chuuk, they often can turn into tropical storms or typhoons that end up hitting us, or passing close by enough to really fuck things up and disrupt lives and destroy stuff. Knock on fucking wood.

This was what the weather was like at 2 p.m. Tuesday afternoon, as I drove back to work. It got a little worse as the day wore on, and will be even worse in the morning hours. Weather MIGHT get a little better around Thursday or so.

For most of you across the United States ... enjoy your heatwave.

11 comments:

RobynB said...

Oh what nasty weather!

You make everything brighter, just by being you :)

Have a great week!

KJ said...

Hi Dz

Oh So Wonderful said...

As nasty as the weather sounds, I do miss those times when we'd hunker down as a family and get ready for storms. We've been through so many storms and typhoons, my family knows exactly what to do every time. It's down to a science now, in our house back home. Well, we know what it's gonna be like back home for a couple days. I'll try to send some of my clear sky your way, Dz....(:

P.S. Sorry it took so long to jump on your baby here. I've been preoccupied - I haven't even blogged myself!

Suze said...

Ha,ha for once I can actually say that we are having better weather. :P (sorry! I couldn't resist.)

The current temperature over here in the UK is in the high 20's and set to get hotter.

Seriously, I hope it doesn't cause any serious damage over there. Take care.

terry said...

i was about to say the same thing suze said! we actually have SUN! in my part of the city! in the SUMMER!

watch out for the storm, dz. be careful!

The Savage said...

I'll swap you that storm for my 4th or 5th day in a row exceeding 100 degrees Farenheit...

-Your Little Brother, Mark

SignGurl said...

Take care and be careful!

JMai said...

Greetings from hurricaneland -- I feel your pain! Hope it doesn't ruin your whole week and I'm glad to hear you won't get anything too damaging.

sassinak said...

take care darlin' and i hope nothing you love gets damaged.

not to mention ihope noone gets hurt anywhere but that's ridiculously wishful thinking.

Grace said...

You're right... those two palm trees are looking very down.

*sigh*

Depression's a bitch.

Madame X said...

Weather scares me.

I always think about you when the Weather Channel is over in your neck of the woods...or Pacific.