Sunday, August 07, 2005

perfect harmony ruined ...


Has anyone seen the new Coke commercial? The one in which they take the melody from the classic "I'd Like to Buy the World a Coke" and changed the words to make the song super sucky. Remember the original? One of the most iconic commericals of all time! All these different people, of different races and different cultures, united by two things — a Coke and a song.

I'd like to build the world a home
And furnish it with love
Grow apple trees and honey bees
And snow white turtle doves

I'd like to teach the world to sing
In perfect harmony
I'd like to hold it in my arms
And keep it company

I'd like to see the world for once
All standing hand in hand
And hear them echo through the hills
For peace throughout the land


It was a cool song. It was a cool commercial.

And now it's ruined.

"I'd like to teach the world to chill?" What the fuck is that?

I appreciate the need to attract new and younger consumers. But this shouldn't be the price. Come up with a new song, a new melody. Don't ruin the good thing.

But then again, this is from the company that brought the world "New Coke." Idiots.

1 comment:

DZER said...

awww ... ya changed from minxie ... =(