Sunday, September 11, 2005

the delicous tease of premium cable ...

Because of budget issues, I've only had basic cable for a couple of years now. Honestly, the way the cable company here gouges us is insane. I can't wait until the new telecommunications player here, which bought the old government-run phone company, starts offering digital cable through the phone later this year. I'm sure they'll have some multi-package deal with cell phone, regular line service, long distance and cable that will beat the socks off of anything else out there. And maybe THEN I can once again to afford at least HBO, which is famous for its great original series.

Anyway, for some reason this weekend, HBO has been working on my set again. I think it's one of those "free weekend" things. So it's been great watching some of my old favorites, and some of the new stuff that I haven't seen, some of which is really good.

And it's shown me just how much I fucking miss HBO. And I'm sure it's going to be gone in the morning when I wake up ... *sigh*

Random Guam Fact Of The Day:
• One of the unique components of Guam's culture is chenchule', which is a system of reciprocation. When someone gets married, or a member of their family dies, you make a donation of money or goods/services to the family. When a similar event happens in your family, the other family does the same for you. And all of it is according to means; the richer you are, the more you give.

4 comments:

sassinak said...

i figure i'll just catch the shows i like next year on dvd. i'm sad not to be up to date on gilmore girls but otherwise i just don't care anymore.

and it's so nice to be free!

DZER said...

chrissie: well, we are a week behind with the non-live cable channels LOL ... and yeah; yer a busy gal *W*

sass: what I really wanna do is be able to pick the 5 to 8 channels that I watch on a regular basis and only pay for those. I don't watch like 90 percent of the channels that are on my system; why should I pay for them.

sassinak said...

dzer: me too. i watch 5 networks and the wb and upn. and that's fucking it.

but no i need 80 channels for that. so lame.

DZER said...

sass: definitely. There should at least be smaller packages, like 20 channels of your choice for one price, 30 channels for a little more, etc.

chrissie: All men are flippers when it comes to channels ... but really, how many times do you stop for any real amount of time on most of those channels? Hell, I have a bunch of channels permanently removed from my remote — like the tourist channel and various foreign language and religion channels ... so those don't even count in my flippage. I just don't need all the channels, and I think it sucks that I have to pay for all to get the few I like.