Sunday, April 23, 2006

feeling totally crabby ...

Stunningly, I actually got out of my apartment on this lazy Sunday. Yes, I woke up late. Yes, I lazed about the house for a good part of the day.

But I also managed to get out. I went to the bookstore and browsed for a while ... the bookstores here really suck. They're way behind, not very big or comprehensive and missing a lot of what you'd expect from a mainland bookstore, but at least it's a bookstore. Didn't find anything I liked, except a couple cards (Mother's Day is coming up!!)

It was early evening as I headed home, so I drove a little further down to Adelup, a combination park and the main office of the governor — it used to be a school, way back when. Anyway, I parked and got out of my truck (see, Chrissie and grainne ... sometimes I get out of my truck! LOL) and actually walked around along the beach a bit.

*pauses here for stunned silence and jaws hitting the ground*

The sunset was gorgeous. I'll try to get some of the pics up on DZER's Guam Pics in the next day or so.

This is a hermit crab I found crawling around the beach. Ain't he a tiny cutie? Click on the pic to see it bigger and in more detail.

This one's a little sandcrab. Can you see it? It was harder to pick out against the sand originally — I upped the contrast a bit so it's a little more clear. Found it yet? Heh.

Random Guam Fact Of The Day:
• The Chamorro word for hermit crab is "dukduk" (rhymes with hook-hook). The name comes from the sound you make to encourage the crab to come out of its shell ... dukduk .. dukduk ... dukduk

16 comments:

ell said...

i'm first! how about that?

i love a good book, but for me it's been one script after another lately. not that i'm complaining!

wish i was walking on a beach today, nothing but clouds and rain here. enjoy the beauty!

:)

DZER said...

ell: sounds like you've been busy ... maybe we'll read about it on your blog sometime? LOL

and thanks hon ... it was a nice time at the beach :)

Madame X said...

Cue: National Geographic Theme Music

Cue: Jacques Cousteau....

DZER said...

zee calypso hazz juss reach offshore Guam. Here, we look for zee, how you say, eeeeluseeve 'ermitte crab!

heh

Chrissie said...

Awww... cute lil Sebastian... Did you see Ariel too?

DZER said...

don'tcha think I woulda posted an image of a hot mermaid with shells over her tata's? LOL

Natalia said...

He is a cutie...is it so bad that it makes me want to go have some king crab with butter? I know...I am horrible.

-N

DZER said...

natalia: not at all darlin' ... feast up! ;)

Suze said...

Dzer, I came over to look at some great gastronomic dishes and what do I get, crabs. LOL.

He looks really small in your hands. Is everything in proportion? Gee, I just can't help myself can I? *wink, wink*

SignGurl said...

Wow! Those ARE some big pinchers and the crab's ain't bad either!

JMai said...

They are kinda cute... in a crabbish sorta way. And so teensy! How did you find them?

DZER said...

suze: hey ... I may SHOW you crabs ... but I'll never GIVE you crabs ... heh ... and I have very large hands ;)

signgurl: why you! ... *hard pinch*

jmai: I have an eagle eye! LOL

kathi said...

I loved this post, it was a cute side to you. Seriously, really cute.

DZER said...

kathi: that's me darlin' ... cute one day ... ASS the next ... LOL

glad you liked it :)

Strumpet said...

That Hermit Crab is indeed a little cutie.

I saved that picture. It was beautiful, DZ.

By the way, I love cute asses with big hands.

I mean, c'mon, who doesn't?

DZER said...

strumpet: glad you liked it darlin' .... how to you feel about big, fat asses with big hands? LOL