Sunday, September 25, 2005

Sharing some of my island's beauty ...


This is the cathedral-basilica located in Guam's capital city, Hagåtña. The land on which the cathedral is built was given to the Catholic Church in the mid-1600s by Chief Quipuha, one of the more noted Chamorro maga'lahi, and the first in such postion to convert to Catholicism.

The cathedral was destroyed in the bombing of Guam in 1944 as the United States softened up Japanese strongholds for the invasion and subsequent liberation of the island. The new building is near other historical sites/parks and is often visited by tourists to the island. I was lucky enough to catch this picture in the early afternoon on a relatively cloudless sky.

These are just some flowers on a bush outside the restaurant I had lunch at earlier today. I told you guys I would be taking my new digital with me all the time to take more pictures, and so you get to enjoy pretty little flowers.

I seem to remember promising someone that once my digital camera came in, I would take some pictures of hibiscus flowers for them. Well, I try to live up to my promises, so here you go. This photo was taken in one of the parks near the cathedral-basilica.

Here's a close-up view of the hibiscus. The flowers all seem to be reaching the end of their life cycles — they were pretty much all wilted and near death. But I still managed to find one that wasn't in too bad of condition.

2 comments:

DZER said...

yes you are ;)

DZER said...

I use the sweet talkin' when appropriate ... but you know me ... I prefer dirty, nasty talkin' ;)