Saturday, October 01, 2005

DZER's dreams of a doggie

I've been giving this a lot of thought lately. I want a dog. I've had dogs my whole life, but when my mom moved to the states five years ago and I moved into an apartment, I was suddenly dogless for the first time that I could remember. My uncle took our family dog, because he was an outside dog and there was no way he would be able to live in my apartment.

But I really miss having a dog. I miss how they love you unconditionally, no matter what. I miss how happy a dog is to see you, no matter if you've been gone an hour or two days. I miss they way a dog leans into a good scratch. I even miss the barking and the occasional wet-dog smells.

So I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a dog. Now I just have to clean up the apartment a bit things currently laying around won't get eaten up or otherwise destroyed. And I have to decide on what kind of dog I want and whether I want to spend any money on one.

My family has never spent money to purchase dogs. We've had mutts or other dogs that were given to us. My father would probably roll over in his grave if I spent the hundreds of dollars most dogs cost, definitely if the dog cost more than $1,000. I really can't understand how a pet could cost that much, or why people would spend that much on an animal. I can see spending money on food for them, or medical treatment, but just to have one? How can you spend several months rent on a pooch?

So, the plan is to get the apartment cleaned over the next week (baby steps are good). Then, on the weekend, I will take a trip up to the animal shelter and see if I can find a dog that fits my temperament and living style. I don't want a hyper dog, or a yap-yap dog. I want a smallish to medium pooch that's relatively laid-back; a low-maintenance hound.

This also will represent the next step in my "get healthy" plan. I quit smoking almost a year ago. I'm eating healthier — not totally healthy, but healthier; more fruit and vegetables in the diet, less fried food, smaller portions, etc., though not all the time. But definitely more healthy than before.

But now I have to start exercising. And I need a real motivation to exercise. I mean, really, what's the point of walking when you can drive? Why walk around in circles? Why walk in place on a machine?

But walking a dog, now that makes sense. The dog needs to be walked. You have to go along with the dog because, well, it's a dumb dog. It might get lost, or stolen, or hurt if you're not there to supervise. So, if I get a dog, I will have to go walking, and thus get exercise, but it will be exercise with a purpose.

Yes, I know it's sad that I need that kind of rationale to work out, but there you go. The only reason I exercised in my youth was so I could play sports. I couldn't suit up for the football team without exercising and running and lifting weights. Same with baseball. Now, I need a dog in order to walk. So what? At least it will get me out there and exercising.

Yay! I'm gonna get a doggie!!

Random Guam Fact Of The Day:
• Guam has a lot of stray dogs, which are called "boonie dogs." While the problem isn't as bad as some places, where the dogs are feral and dangerous, it is still rather significant, and efforts to round up strays are continuous in most villages.

8 comments:

DZER said...

you nag well

you also won on the no sex thing
the healthier eating thing

i'll be a fit, nonsmoking, dog-walking priest in no time

DZER said...

oh, you also won on the be nice to a certain someone thing

and that worked out soooo well LOL

DZER said...

screw T ... have no reason to be nice to her; glad she's not on island anymore ...

DZER said...

so much there ... just gone ... no wonder I don't like people all that much ...

DZER said...

too sick and bleah-ish to finish cleaning, so the new goal is next weekend.

DZER said...

yer just trying to trick me somehow ... I can feel it in my bones ...

DZER said...

oh you soooooo would!!

DZER said...

yer trying to trick me about whether you'd trick me! tricky, tricky minx!