Tuesday, November 29, 2005

you had me at ...

OK, I admit it. I'm NOT the big, tough, macho he-man that I come across as on this blog. That's right. I'm a fraud. I'm not a heartless prick (all the time). I'm not a wanker (well, sometimes). I'm not a big jerk (except sometimes — ask Chrissie ... no, wait ... don't ask her!).

Oh, I play the role. But I'm seriously deficient in several different major guy categories that prevent me from being the mannish man that all of us (straight)men want to be, long to be, need to be.

• I can't fix my truck, or cars in general. I started off good, but I can't deal with all the computer chips and shit now. I'd rather have someone else change my oil and spark plugs, thanks. I CAN and do change my own tires though — no calling a service or the insurance company, even though it's a part of my policy.

• I am not a stud. I have slept with far fewer women than most men. I don't — can't and won't — treat them like shit. I'm too faithful and loyal, if and when I am with a woman, to cheat on her. I treat women well. This is an impairment to being the studly player — after all, the nice guy doesn't get the frequent one-night stands. It just doesn't happen to the caring, treat-them-right fellas.

• I write poetry — free verse, sonnets, haiku, even the occasional epic. I mean, c'mon. Seriously.

• I don't like beer very much. I'll drink it now and again, but I can't drink it regularly, like it was a Coke or iced tea. I don't like most booze, when it comes down to it. I can't stand most whisky, scotch, rum, gin and especially tequila. I like vodka OK, but rarely drink.

• But my biggest infraction: I like romantic comedies. Or comedic romances.

I always have, and I'm sure I always will. What are some of my favorites? There are really too many to mention, but I will tell you some of my favorites. Please note: This list is far from complete. It's just the ones that came to mind when I was thinking about it and this post. I'm sure there are tons of others ones that I'm not listing here.

"Can't Buy Me Love."

"When Harry Met Sally."

"Sleepless in Seattle."

"It Happened One Night."

"Philadelphia Story."

"Serendipity."

"Love Actually" ... which I'm watching right now, actually.

"Say Anything."

"High Fidelity."

"You've Got Mail."

There are a lot of commonalities in this short list. John Cusack, for one. He's a highly under-rated actor. Meg Ryan, for another. There was always something about her smile that made me melt inside a little — that still makes me melt inside a little. Yet another: Almost always, these stories involve the old and trite "guy meets girl, guy fucks up and loses girl, guy gets girl back" theme. Overplayed. Overdone. And yet I can't get enough of it.

"Why?" you ask. Well, probably none of you actually REALLY asked. I'm guessing none. Not one of you said, to yourself or out loud, "Gee, I wonder why Duane likes that theme if it is so trite and trivial, so overplayed and overdone." But it's a literary device which allows me to smoothly segue into the next part of my diatribe. Except I've fucked that up by interjecting this whole explaining part in the middle of it. Forgive me; I've been reading Mike's funny blog so often that, apparently, I am now stealing his devices in a most blatant way. Hell, imitation is the highest form of flattery isn't it? Or is that ass kissing? LOL

Going back to the why.

It's because I'm an emotional masochist; I like the hopeless, shattering, wrenching poignant pains I actually, physically FEEL when I hear the trite and sappy lines, when he breaks her heart, when she breaks his heart, when she finds out what he did or when he finds out what she did. I revel in the feeling of that pain, which is usually accompanied by chills and the welling of tears.

I guess I feel I can identify with the character feeling the pain. It resonates in me. I like knowing that someone else, at that very moment, is feeling that dull, stabbing throb of hurt as I am — even if they are an actor in a movie on the screen of my television.

But then that hurt is redoubled when they get back together, as they almost invariably do in these movies. OF COURSE they get back together! It's a Hollywood movie; they pander to what we want to see. And none of us want to see these people heartbroken and alone and in pain.

Because all too many of us deal with those feelings on a daily basis in our real lives. These are the emotions of our daily existence. We go to the movies to escape that, to get away from that. If we are reminded of it in the break-up scene, we NEED to see the happy resolution to that. We need that gift of hope, that feeling that things can get better, that love can happen and last, that mistakes can be forgiven and erased.

Even though we know it's not real, that the world doesn't work like it.

Watch "Heavy" if you haven't already. That movie hit so close to the bone it boggled my mind.

- - - - - - - -

Addendum: Yes, I know I've blogged on something along these lines before, a while ago. But this is a little more fleshed out.

- - - - - - - -


Random Guam Fact Of The Day:
• Triste yu ... yan puti i korasón-hu.

22 comments:

Everything Nice said...

Dozer... Say Anything.

*sigh*

Dude, you totally hit the nail on the head with that one. I looooovvvveeee that movie... always have, always will.

Any idea how many times I freakin' cried when I watched that? Any?

Movie makes me fall in love all over again.

Interesting blurb though... when dating my (now) husband, we were both going through messy divorces. Every once in awhile we would decide that it would be best not to see each other until our divorces were final.

I didn't see him for like a week (except for at work, when I would pout)...

Friday night, it was raining outside... and I heard Peter Gabriel echoing outside... Im thinking.. WTF?!?!

I look outside my window, there he is.. boom box and all standing on the trunk of his car...

yep. Romantic fuckers get me everytime.. Im such a softy.

Anyway, that has since been 'our song' and was played at our wedding... now, every time I hear it I, I, I.... *sigh*

Love ya Dozr. More today than ever.

Thanks for reminding me that I felt that way once.

DZER said...

naughty one: it seems, on the face of it, and in retrospect, to be such a hokey move. but I remember watching the movie in the theaters and thinking "I've got to do that with MY boombox" ... which was like 3 times as big as the one Lloyd held up LOL

chrissie: see how much I liked it? to the point of it becoming one of my favorties! *smooch*

crscntmoon: Didn't forget; it's a fave of mine too ... I love pretty much all of Cusack's stuff LOL

And do I buy into that stuff? I'll tell you ... in next month's GQ! LOL

DZER said...

murphy: word! (another 80s throwback)

and the rain in "High Fidelity" was symbolic of the tears that Cusack's character couldn't seem to generate ... also, it was based in the Pacific Northwest LOL

DZER said...

wasn't it? maybe the rain had me thinking "Seattle" ... LOL

DZER said...

crscntmoon: that magazine has gone to shit

why can't anyone publish a decent men's magazine that isn't half-playboyish like Maxim or Cosmo-Male edition like GQ has become. WTF?

Everything Nice said...

and what the fuck is wrong with the PNW?!?!?

It doesn't rain there all the time.

pfft.

mikster said...

Hey big guy...we have a lot in common....I grew up with an abusive Dad (toward women)....I cannot be mean, disrespectful around them. That being said...I can certainly ignore them if warranted...just not be mean to them.

sassinak said...

i love all the movies on your list that i've seen.

mike: ignoring is better but can be even meaner depending on how it's done...

SignGurl said...

Aww, did you think we really didn't know you were a softie? That's why us Dzerettes love you.

::kisses::

Steppin' On Toes said...

You're adorable. Ok what the hell does the Guam fact mean?

DZER said...

gigi: The Joe songs were funny! And sorry you got yer own joe *smooch*

naughty one: never said anything was wrong with it, ya pffter.

grainne: awww … poor baby … and why would you say such a thing to me in Icelandic?

mike: I’m officially adopting you as my cyber older brother. Can I borrow $20? LOL

sass: thanks hon .. It just goes to show you have excellent taste ;)

gigi: LMAO

jenn: c’mon here! I’ve got a reputation to project — I mean protect — here! *sneaks a smooch*

jax: moi? adorable? Awwww …. *blush* … and you mean you don’t know this one? LOL

Steppin' On Toes said...

No I don't!

SignGurl said...

You hit 10,000 hits recently, maybe today! Congrats!

DZER said...

jax: it's a popular karaoke song here on Guam ...does that help? LOL

jenn: I did? Wow! thanks for noticing ... and for telling me LOL *smooch*

Oh So Wonderful said...

Taya pare-hu mu...DON'T GET ME STARTED WITH THAT ONE!

Oh I sooo KNOW that song...(:

Dz...I love your heart!

love actually - I love that movie. Now this one - Diary of a Mad Black Woman - could have been my life.

kathi said...

dzer, you are absolutely the sweetest guy in the world. I don't think there is anything more manly or sexy than not being afraid to expose your heart, your mind, your soul. If I weren't married, I'd sell everything I own to get to Guam.

DZER said...

gigi: you wish! LOL

oh so wonderful: thanks, chika! and who introduced you to my heart?

kathi: awww ... yer too kind. and that's what all the married ones say LOL

allison: hey! you're not married! sell everything and move here! LOL

DZER said...

horsn: sorry, but it does! LOL

luckily most won't read this far down ... LOL

terry said...

thanks for reminding me that men are people too. with feelings and stuff.
sometimes, i forget that...!

and i thought I was the only person on the planet who'd seen "heavy!" great film.

(oh, and hi! finally checking out your blog after seeing your comments all over the place for awhile.)

DZER said...

grainne: awww ... yer a sweetie *smooch*

terry: thanks ... and wasn't heavy a great flick? intense and just so real. Also, thanks for stopping by the Diatribe; hope to "see" you around more often :)

M said...

one of my all time favourite lines in a movie:

"I gave her my heart, she gave me a pen".

John Cusack is highly underrated!

DZER said...

m ... he's one of my fave actors!