Sunday, October 23, 2005

how long for that doggy in the window?

OK, for some reason I thought I could walk into the animal shelter and say, "Hi! I'd like to give an abandoned puppy a warm, safe, loving home so you don't have to kill him in a couple weeks" and then they'd say, "Sure! Take one home and love it!"

That's not the case. Apparently, there's an application process. And a waiting period. Like I was buying a gun. What the fuck?

What sucks is the puppy I REALLY wanted ... a cute little brown-and-tan pup with light green eyes ... was already adopted.

The one I chose is the brown one at the top of the pile in the pic below.

Ain't she a cutie? Yes, a she. I was gonna go with a boy doggie, but the only male pup still there was ... well ... ugly. *shrug*

Here's another view ... you can kinda see her cute lil puppy face a little bit.

So they're supposed to call me sometime tomorrow, but that presents a problem: I work till 5 or 5:30, and they close at 5. It's a 30-minute drive there, so even if I went during lunch it would be to drive there, grab the pup, fly back home, leave it there, then head back to work.

I think that kinda sucks.

So, I'm thinking of actually paying money for a dog. *pauses as dad and hundreds of Chamorro ancestors roll over in graves* I can get one for a few hundred bucks in the classifieds ... and I DID just win a few hundred bucks at poker.

Maybe I should just get one today. And then when the animal shelter calls tomorrow, I can say, "Sorry, but your own bureaucratic bungling means you get to keep the pup!" Heh!

What to do, what to do ...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

but then you would feel badly if the lil brown baby got gassed...

though i do wish you could get it today.. call em back and tell them lol
i mean wtf... they doing a credit check? runnin your finger prints?? your Jingle George for christs sake!

kathi said...

Awwww, how cute! So, did you feel a heart tug when you saw 'toppers'? The screening process is a good thing, keeps animals away from the wrong homes ~ no yards/someone who can't take care of them/people who want to experiment on animals...you know...idiots.
We've adopted 2 of our 3 dogs and 2 of our 3 cats from the Humane Society. Yeah, we're the Angelina Jolie of the animal world.
You're already cute as a button with buying all the 'gear' and taking pics of the pup...whoever you end up with is going to be one lucky pup.

sassinak said...

all of my cats have been rescues though one showed up at my door rather than wait for the humane society...

dude seriously wait for the dog you want and ask work if you can leave early just this once... or on tuesday

i perdict they won't mine :)