I don't care what anyone says — no one is happy ALL the time. How could any person always have the same emotional state, non-stop? Even if it were possible, how would anyone know they were happy all the time — there would be no basis for comparison.
In fact, I don't think happiness is all that persistent of a state. How long can one person be happy? I mean continuously happy. You're super happy and are out driving ... oncoming car in your lane! You swerve to avoid! Fear, terror and other feelings flash though you. Even something less drastic can make you feel a different way, even if for just a brief time — a photograph or song brings up a sad memory, or a wistful one.
Anyway, I guess my point is that happiness is short little bursts of feeling. Sometimes it lingers for a while, or positively colors the rest of your afternoon or even the whole day.
So what are the things that give you those little shiny, happy bursts of good and joyful feelings?
Here are some of mine (note — this is FAR from a complete list):
• A winning poker hand ... better yet a winning night of poker.
• A kiss on the lips from a woman.
• Holing a 20-foot putt.
• Hitting a perfect golf shot — a long sweeping drive, a punched 7-iron under the trees, a wedge to a foot from the hole.
• Hugging my godsons. Rough-housing with them.
• Finding a book I've been waiting to read for ages.
• A wonderful, sumptuous meal.
• A perfect cup of coffee after said meal.
• The first, long, exquisitely delicious draw of smoke from a cigarette after said meal — which I haven't experienced in more than 15 months. Fuck!
• Sinking into a mattress covered in pillows when I'm super tired and needing sleep.
• A glimpse of cleavage.
• An eyeful of a shapely, long leg through the slit of a long skirt.
• Making someone laugh.
• Finding an awesome parking place at a crowded shopping center.
• Watching the Three Stooges.
• Waking up and finding a beautiful woman next to me in the bed, snuggled against my chest.
• Completing the Sunday crossword puzzle.
• A nice, long, hot bath.
• Winning ... anything, pretty much. Heh.
And now ... for a bit more shiny happy goodness:
Random Guam Fact Of The Day:
• The Chamorro word for smile is chiche'.