Friday, November 11, 2005

I'm lost when it comes to "Lost" ...

OK, I admit it. I just don't get what the big deal is about "Lost."

Can anyone explain it to me? Seriously. I mean, I've seen the show on several occasions in the first season. I watched the first two or three or so because of all the hype it was getting. People were talking about it as if it were the second coming of "CSI."

But I just couldn't get into it — not the way that everyone else seemed to get into it. It was a phenomenon that just wasn't all that phenomenal to me. I mean, for some folks that's the ONLY show the watch during the week, and it's all they can do to hold in their excitement before the next episode. They buy Season 1 on DVD to look for clues they've missed, to get behind-the-scenes info. They join or create fan clubs and "Lost" specific blogs. They go through Web site after Web site hoping to get clues about upcoming episodes ... as long as it doesn't SPOIL anything. Some just like the show, but others are totally OBSESSED.

I see that it's different. But really, the concept isn't really all that new. Remember Robinson Crusoe? Same concept, but with a ship and fewer survivors — cast away on a deserted island, far from any hope of rescue, trying to survive in strange and unusual surroundings, having to find shelter, food, etc.

The more modern equivalent, of course, is "Gilligan's Island." There you had multiple castaways trying to get by on a remote tropical island with no seeming hope for rescue. But, of course, "Lost" is no "Gilligan's Island." First of all, it's a drama, instead of a comedy. Second of all, there will never be two hotter castaways than Ginger and Mary Ann.

Of course, "Lost" is more than just a drama about people on a deserted island (and seeming a VERY large island to not be charted or known ... I mean, this is the 21st century, not the 18th) ... it's also a complex character study of a diverse bunch of folks and their former lives BEFORE they crashed, thanks to the overuse of gratuitous amounts of flashbacks meant to draw out the storyline further ...

And "diverse" is the key. It's not just Gilligan, the Skipper too; the millionaire and his wife; the movie star ... the professor and Mary Ann ... it goes WAY beyond that.

We have: the doctor, the fugitive woman, the con-man stud, the fat and slovenly latino multi-millionaire, the rich boy (now dead) and his spoiled brat sister, the ex-superstar musician druggie, the korean mafia couple, the Iraqi Republican Guardsman, the bald paraplegic who can suddenly walk again, the pregnant woman fleeing a cult (now a mom) ... not to mention the pirates, strangers already on the island, including a FRENCH chick.

Let's not forget the "monsters" that turned out to be wild pigs, the polar bears (really? polar bears?), other assorted unknown beasts, possibly dinosaurs and other crap. Oh yes, then you have the extensive tunnel system, fake plants and secret passages, parts of old planes crashed in the jungle canopy, massive underground computer system with a number sequence that has to be entered continuously, some kind of government secret experiment/plot ... etc.

Did I leave anything out? Proof of alien visitors? The remains of Marshall, Will and Holly from "The Land of the Lost" (still the best TV show EVER with the word "lost" in it), or a Sleestak, perhaps? Maybe the "Survivor" cast is on the other side of the island?

I guess I can kind of see the appeal ... I just don't feel it. Maybe it's because I'm just more into crime dramas and forensic kind of stuff. I dunno ... but for now, and likely forever, I will never be lost without "Lost."

Let the drubbing and comments calling me crazy and unappreciative of television genius begin!!

Random Guam Fact Of The Day:
• If there were any southern Chamorro boys who survived the plane crash on "Lost," there would have been a shelter up by the end of Day 1, and there would be a steady supply of fish, shellfish, eel, etc. for the table.

22 comments:

DZER said...

well, I just know you are a Lost girl ;)

and I should find out soon on the pitbull pup ...

DZER said...

OUR new baby? what the hell? LOL

DZER said...

hick: she's referring to "OUR" puppy to be ... I hope LOL

and good for you!

DZER said...

omigod! I forgot about the "cybercouples" who had "cyberbabies" ... LOL

DZER said...

umm ... cuz the dinosaurs? duh!!

LOL

DZER said...

murphy: Chaka was da bomb ... sa-ri-sa-taka!! Sa-ri-sa-taka!!

what were his/her/its brother/sisters/whatevers called? Taka and Laka? LOL

da buttah said...

watch nip/tuck! dr. troy is hot :)

Deb said...

Never seen the show... and never knew that Dzer & Chrissie were having cyber puppies.

Hmm...

Everything Nice said...

I tried to watch it once since it was watercooler discussion.

However.

I fell asleep.

I'm so glad to know that I am not the only person who feels this way, although I'm surprised you had the audacity to give it a shot.

:) Happy TGIFFF big daddy!

DZER said...

buttah: that's a killer show ... I don't catch it enough because of the channel/time it's on here ... but it's good!

deb: so you never were lost, but now you're found?

and she's just on me about the puppy thing ... as are kathi and grainne ... and others ... I think I regret that post most of all ... LOL

DZER said...

naughty one: yay! another un-Lost person ... and my Friday wasn't bad .. we'll see how Saturday goes ;)

SignGurl said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
SignGurl said...

I am a LOST girl also. I mostly think it's because I have the hots for that bad boy Sawyer. Sayid isn't too bad either. Come to think of it, I'd even do Locke (something about a mysterious bald man who can take care of himself using a case full of knives). Ok, so I'm a slut 'cause I think Hurley has potential (always seems to be looking out for others). Uh oh, I forgot about Jin. He is a beautiful specimen of a man. Yes, I watch just for the eye candy but follow along with the story. Funny thing is, I'm not attracted to Jack at all. He seems a little whiny and self rightous.

As for the debate over Land Of The Lost vs. Lost In Space, Land Of The Lost rules! Those Sleestacks were horrifying but Will more than made up for them. He seemed to have a little too much interest in Holly though.

Don't forget about the best lost movie, THE LOST BOYS.

Lindsey said...

Oh my friend. I love the show. It's the suspense, the way they draw the characters and the unique way of presenting their real stories...I look forward to it every Wed.

kathi said...

What pitbull puppies?? I work a couple of days and you're looking at pitbull puppies? Have you seen the one on my picture blog? She's the sweetest dog I've ever known. But, what happened to the pups at the pound??
My favorite t.v. shows:
House, Boston Legal, Grey Anatomy and recently I'm liking Related too.
We keep up with Lost, but it's a series recording on the dvr and we watch it whenever...

Chrissie, if you're having cyber pups with dzer, does that make you his cyber bitch? Hey, just a question. :)

HUGS ALL

DZER said...

gigi: never? LOL

grainne: ooooh ... knew you watched the show, didn't peg you for a "Lostie" though ... nice dissertation, though. I hope no high schoolers steal it for their term papers LOL

chrissie; warning Will Robinson, danger! Danger! hmm .. nope, dinosaurs and sleestack rule!

jenn: OK ... I guess I can understand the eye-candy factor ... but you're actually going to mention a movie with Corey Haim, Corey Feldman AND Kiefer Sutherland in it and compare it to Land of the Lost? LOL

linny:I do see the suspense angle as well ... seems like a cliffhanger almost every week, at least from the promos and stuff

kathi: *in best Sgt. Schultz voice* ... I know nuh-zink! NUH-ZINK!!!!

SignGurl said...

What? YOu didn't like The Lost Boys? What's wrong with the 2 Corey's? They were a little young at the time for me.

And hey, I think you're makin' fun of me. :(

Oh So Wonderful said...

That's why we, islanders, can't be on these damn reality survival series. We'd win...and Fear Factor, come on - we ate stuff like that to amuse each other. I guess the peeps on NBC didn't have it like we did growing up...ha ha ha!


Oh, and you just had to bring up Land of the Lost...I thought I was weird for remembering Chaka (btw, that's my mom's family name, ha ha ha ha). (:

DZER said...

jenn: would I do that darlin'? ;)

oh so wonderful: I did a column once on why my dad would be kicked out the first week on Survivor ... because he would have a hut up, be climbing trees for coconuts, catching and cooking fish from the lagoon ... LOL

and for those non-Chamorros out there, Guam clans have what are called family names ... usually an attribute or function of an ancestor ... Familian Cha'ka ... cha'ka means rat or shrew in Chamorro ...

DZER said...

crscntmoon ... I think they usually use nets, though a shotgun filled with birdshot would probably work ... and the wings get crispy/crunchy ;)

Oh So Wonderful said...

Dz...Did you just admit to eating fanihi? Ok, if you didn't then I wouldn't admit to eating haggan...sssshhhhh...."I didn't inhale."

DZER said...

I tried fanihi when I was a kid ... along with monitor lizard ... LOL ... and I'm sure at some point at some SOUTHERN fiesta, I had turtle soup ... but only when I was young; didn't understand what it was ... once I did — never ate it again.