Sunday, November 06, 2005

Would you dare to try a DZER sammich?

When I was a kid, I wasn't all that picky of an eater. Yes, there were somethings I totally wouldn't eat (lima beans, peas, mixed vegetables, beans and stew, primarily), but there also were a lot of things some people wouldn't dream of eating.

As anyone who has paid attention knows, I'm a big fan of sammiches. Not sandwiches, but sammiches. I like all kinds, from burgers to heroes to subs to Dagwoods. Hot sammiches, grilled sammiches, toasted sammiches. When I'm at fancy Sunday brunches and there is bread available, I make sammiches. Sometimes it's just cheese on a roll, but usually there's meat — whether it's a cold cut or a main course that I stuffed into bread.

I like trying new sammiches, new combinations of bread and meat and cheese and even vegetables (on rare occasions).

This was especially true as a kid. My brother James and I tried a lot of combinations, always trying to outdo each others.

The one that I stuck with for years was this one: Peanut Butter and French's Yellow Mustard on White Bread — the DZER sammich. Oh yes, I'm aware that it sounds VERY gross and nasty. But you know what? It tastes pretty good. At least it did when I was growing up. Plus, it was a CHEAP sammich to boot; always good when you have four brothers and sisters and your dad is only and Air Force master sergeant and your mom is pretty much a stay-at-home mom picking up a few extra bucks with sewing done.

So ... you got the moxie to try it? Go ahead ... what will it hurt? If you hate it after one bite, you can toss it.

So, that's my big sammich invention. What sammich, or other food for that matter, did you invent when you were a kid? Feel free to share. :)

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't do it man!

DZER said...

will ... why not? c'mon ... be a man! LOL

SignGurl said...

I can't do it either. I guess I'm not a man.

I did like peanut butter and potato chip sammiches.

Everything Nice said...

interesting sammich creation... but Dzr, uh pb&m? Hmmmm.

I can't do it either. *sigh*

DZER said...

no one wants to step up and at least try one bite? *sigh*

jenn: umm ... glad yer not a man! *pinch*

naughty one: think of it as a kinky sammich ... does that help? LOL

hick: I've done that ... well, something similar to goulash — beef and gravy and noodles? I'm tellin' ya ... almost anything can be made into a sammich!

Lindsey said...

I'm a big sandwhich eater. Ate all kinds of things others turned their nose up at. Banana Sandwhiches, Pineapple sandwhiches, peanut butter and syrup. Yum.....

DZER said...

linny: I did the peanut butter and banana just because of Elvis ... LOL ... some of them sound good!

sassinak said...

damn and i was so proud of my more outlandish sammiches but damn... pb&m?? i just don't know. if i had any of the three required ingredients in my fridge i would go for it for at least a bite...

but i don't :)

DZER said...

murphy: lucky for me, my dad was a great cook and my mom still is one. No crazy recipes like that ... but Spam rocks the hizzouse, my friend.

sass: hmmm ... will you dare to try it in the future? LOL

DZER said...

isn't that better than throwing up a lot? LOL

Deb said...

No no no no Dzer---say it's not so!!! Only jelly goes with peanutbutter.......ewwwwww...this post made me a bit queasy.

MUSTARD??????????????????

Sowwy! :(

kathi said...

When I was a kid I'd fix a sandwich of bread, ketchup and potato chips. Hon, sorry, I agree with deb, pb and mustard...no way in the world I'm trying that.

Hugs

DZER said...

chrissie: you must be more than 40-percent weird! LOL

gigi: LOL

chrissie: yes! tater chips inside sammich = good.

deb: it's an alternative lifestyle sammich ... don't be so quick to judge! LOL

kathi: ketchup but not mustard? *sigh*

grainne: wtf? peanut butter goes with chicken but not mustard? LMAO

and I love a good messy sammich ... will have to try that one :)

Oh So Wonderful said...

Ok, how we do it in the south...

Sugar on sliced fried spam...in between the "Wonder" bread.

Umbre, we have to be from the south to have thought of this. Have you tried it yet?

Or mayo and peas (yeah, a veggie sandwich, but if you're vegan - too bad).

Early mornings before school, my grandma always made toast and buttered it up. She added cinnamon and sugar and VOILA...a sweet treat from her heart!